Wednesday, June 15, 2016

~ beneath the surface ~


     It was a small local shop in an unfamiliar city, I had a little time to stroll leisurely and spend a few minutes browsing.  I was traveling so I didn’t need throw pillows, doo-dads or décor items, but it is always interesting to look and see something new.
     I like to repurpose items when possible and find new uses for vintage or unique items but this particular shop was way, way outside my box.  I wandered some more aisles, scanned a couple stacks of old books, browsed a shelf or two of bric-a-brac; nothing caught my eye as being something I would want to transport back home with me.  I’m in the process of streamlining and simplifying my life, not cluttering it up with dust-collectors.
     As I reached the back of the store and turned to make my way towards the exit, there was a small side table that held an eclectic collection of items for sale.  The table was painted a hideous color (*IMHO) but I admired the early American design with its curves and spindles.  Again, I am traveling by plane, so a table is not a check-able item that I could get back home with me, so it wasn’t a consideration.  But as I walked away, the image of that table was stuck in my mental photo file.
     It was obvious that the table had been repainted so many times that the engraved design on the side rail was nearly obscured by thick paint.  The spindle legs also had thick layers of paint that included drips which had dried as they cascaded downward.  As previously stated the color was garish and not in a palette that I would entertain in my home, but then the old adage is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 
Or is it?
     The table legs were sturdy and the joints tight.  The top was serviceable and secure enough to support the numerous glass items displayed across it with no apparent concern for their safety.  Had I seen this table closer to my home, had it been for sale, I probably would have purchased it despite the color.  The outer coat could be stripped off and repainted or refinished.  I enjoy a rewarding DIY project.
     When I was growing up, (which doesn’t seem that long ago) our family did not have expendable income for “extras.”  I learned creativity and resourcefulness borne out of frugality and a “make-do” mindset. This creativity and resourcefulness is also why I enjoy the HGTV channel with shows like Property Brothers and Fixer Upper.
     I believe that the saying “beauty is in the eye of the beholder” is only true if the beholder is able to see the possibilities in the item they are beholding; this requires the ability to see past layers of garish paint, outdated appliances, faded and scarred flooring, or a  hodge-podge of rooms rather than an architectural jewel.  And this goes for people too.
During a conversation with a friend recently, they catalogued all of their faults, scars, bad ideas, baggage, and reasons why they were no longer usable.  While I attempted to be encouraging, I wish I had seen that table and had this “ah-ha” moment prior to that conversation in order to provide a better illustration for them. 
     I have a few family heirlooms, antiques if you need a label.  They may not have a “market value” but they have value to me, they are treasures because they belonged to my great-grandparents. While I am working to streamline and simplify my life of extraneous “stuff”, those will be with me for quite some time.  There is beauty and usefulness to them even though they are both well over 100 years old.  It is my belief that we are never too old to have value or be of use in some fashion.
     All of us have layers that have built up over the years, scars that mark us, or places where we feel loose, wobbly, or unstable.  Our joints may ache a bit, but we are able to use our heart and our words; faults and habits can be repaired when we rewire our thinking or mindsets;  scars add character and bring history to a piece of furniture so why not to humans as well.  I see potential and possibilities rather than something bound for the dump. Just like that table or some other DIY project may require scraping, sanding, and some reworking to restore it, so it is with people as well.  Develop vision, see the beauty beneath the surface and work to restore them and help them to find a new purpose when they feel cast off or pushed aside. We may be uncomfortable with the situations or people that are rough to be around and rub against our grain, but we must develop vision and the ability to see possibility and potential in ourselves and others.
     Behold, you are beautiful.
   

 The Wordsmith
*in my humble opinion

No comments:

Post a Comment