Thursday, June 9, 2016

~ here's your sign ~

     While out and about running errands today we took time to stop for lunch.  As is my habit, I people watch when I'm not occupied in conversation.  Sometimes it is difficult to NOT watch people because they call attention to themselves so readily.
     Today was a bit different.  It seemed as if I were observing the scene before me in the restaurant through an infrared filter, in that it appeared that people were holding signs identifying their individual issue.  If each had been standing on a corner begging for handouts from the passersby, rather than "Homeless," or "Disabled  Veteran," or "unemployed single mom" their signs said,  "rejected for being overweight," "starving for attention," "abused husband," "hate my job," "changed my major 6 times" "he's mad because I overdrew the bank account"  "contemplating suicide."
     As I walked to the counter for a drink refill, I could see signs all around me and I was nearly overcome with the impact of emotion that swept over me.  I was startled because I have actually seen a video that was produced by some church somewhere that used that very type of scenario as a message to their flock.  But this was personal, this was real for me.
     It was difficult to dwell on it for too long with a toddler in need of a nap in the backseat, but I did meditate on that experience for quite a while this afternoon.  As a group of friends gathered for dinner, the topic of being "offended" came up.  I listened to these 20-somethings discuss some office matter and the resulting drama, etc.  Then they began to share some very thoughtful comments that made me admire these young adults as they expressed empathy and compassion for others by saying that you don't know what the other person experienced or is going through that made them act out in such a way.  Absolutely correct.  If only more humans would be so conscientious and generous of spirit.
     I don't know what that whole moment was about at lunch, but it was definitely thought provoking and I won't soon forget it.  I don't know why that waitress spoke in that tone of voice, or that teller, clerk, or receptionist acted or spoke the way that they did that day I encountered them.  But I am most certain that I will check my own heart before I respond next time.
I hope that you will too.

The Wordsmith

No comments:

Post a Comment